enfrit

Hundreds of churches scattered in the territory of Sulcis-Iglesiente

Hundreds of churches scattered in the territory of Sulcis-Iglesiente

The Aragonese rule (until the half of the XV century) has influences the style of the original construction of the church of San Giorgio, in Siliqua. The parochial preserves some parts of the original Gothic-Catalan structure such as four chapels.

Tratalìas keeps one of the most beautiful cathedral of Sardinia: it is the Romanesque-Pisan church dedicated to Santa Maria di Monserrato, constructed with blocks of clear trachyte at the beginning of the XIII century A.D. (the works began in 1213). It was the bishop’s seat of the Diocese of Sulci and carried out this function from 1218 to 1503. All around rose a medieval village (look at Ghost Cities), that has been recently refurbished and it is worth a visit.

The basilica dedicated to Sant’Antioco is one of the jewels of the homonym town (the sulcitano martyr has given its name also to the island, linked to Sardinia by a isthmus of earth). The first documents that refer to the sanctuary carry the date of 1089, but some of its parts (as the fragments of marmorean slabs imported from Rome and Ostia) date back to the III century A.D.

It dates back to the beginning of the 1300′s the original structure of the church of San Ranieri (Villamassargia) that, during the Spanish rule, was dedicated to Nostra Signora del Pilar. The epigraph set in the facade indicates a date, 1318, year in which were carried out the refurbishing works with clear late Romanesque imprint. At the end of the XVI century important refurbishing participations were made, from which it is possible to infer that the nave is in late Gothic style. Very interesting also the parochial of Santa Maria della Neve, raised at the beginning of the XIII century and subsequently modified.

In Villacidro are worth a visit the churches of Santa Barbara (of the construction erected in the XVI century remain the bell tower and the main Chapel) and that rustic of San Sisinnio (XVII century).

In Nora (Pula), close to the important archaeological site, there is the ancient small church of Sant’Efisio, built in the Capo di Pula and donated to the vittorini monks of Marseilles by the Judge of Cagliari in 1089. Consecrated in the XI century A.D., after a reconstruction made by the same vittorini on an early Christian structure, the church  has becomed a recover for the patron saint of Cagliari, at the end of the long procession that characterizes the Festival of Sant’Efisio, on 1st May.

Villa San Pietro took the name from the church dedicated to San Pietro, where the population of Pula from the XIII century (when its construction was completed), sheltered on the occasion of the attacks of Barberians. Previously, not by accident, the town was called San Pietro di Pula. The church of San Pietro, recently refurbished, is a significant example of Romanesque style.

Clung on the mounts of Capoterra, near the residential complex of Porto Pino, there is the small church of Santa Barbara (1280). The legend says that in the moment in which the martyr of Cagliari was beheaded, hundred meters more upriver began expectedly to gush out water of the rock. By then the source, called “Sa Scabitzada”, still feed a small stream. Around the small church there are some houses going back to the nineteenth century, a half-abandoned village, only partially refurbished.

In Nuxis there is of the most important evidences of the early Christian period: the small countrychurch of Sant’Elia. IIt is located nearbyTattinu, along the  road that connects Nusix to Santadi and the most ancient part of this building dates back to the IX century A.D. and shows clear signs of the byzantine style. Some parts were later refurbished in accordance with the dictates of the Romanesque style.

In the countryside of Perdaxius it is possible to visit the small country church dedicated to San Leonardo, constructed in 1600′s. It is told that, two centuries ago, the estate owner uncovered it by accident while he was weeded the field from blackberry bushes and brushwoods. Inside the church are preserved some works of the Spanish Age and the wooden simulacrum of the Saint. The small church attracts many faithfuls especially on the Pentecost day.

Condividi

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • Delicious
  • LinkedIn
  • StumbleUpon
  • Add to favorites
  • Email
  • RSS